[ubuntu-uk] wondering about pic quality?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 00:10:12 BST 2007

Chris Rowson wrote:

> After having a wee read of the MythTV wiki, it looks like you should
> be careful to ensure that your CPU is powerful enough to play HD
> quality stuff too.
>
> "The minimum CPU requirement for broadcast HDTV playback (720p or
> 1080i) with de-interlacing is a CPU such as an Athlon64 3200+ or
> Pentium 2.8 Ghz, either Pentium D 820 or Pentium 4. Since the Athlon64
> line is much cheaper many people end up purchasing an Athlon."
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV#CPU

That would work out about right, my system is an Athlon 3000+ and I just
managed to play HD (720p) quicktime content with mplayer.  Luckily with
dual core CPU's, motherboards and memory getting so cheap now it isn't
too much of a problem anymore.  I got my laptop just before Dell started
bringing in the Core2 Duo CPU's (I have a Pentium M 1.8GHz laptop).

Eventually when I finally get the ok from my other half (i.e. after
we've got married next September) I'm hoping to have another bash at
building a MythTV box.  Hopefully by then prices of LCD TV's should be
really really cheap. :-)

Rob