[ubuntu-uk] External hard disks and backup strategies

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:53:47 BST 2007

On 18/09/2007, David M <lists2007 at trancepod.34sp.com> wrote:

On the other hand, a plain-old USB hard disk seems the simpler option. I
> would naively assume that as USB is now well-proven technology, these
> would work just fine with Ubuntu, but is that the case? How easy would
> it be to automate backups to such a disk? Would it mount with a
> persistent mount point, or would it change with every unplug or system
> reboot?
>

> Then there is the question of what backup strategy I should actually
> use. I was assuming that an automated rsync every week would be the
> easiest, but perhaps there are other possibilities? Something automated,
> once configured, without requiring user intervention is an absolute
> must: the whole point of doing backups is that I don't have to remember
> to do it!

Typing as someone who is about to precisely the same thing I too would be
most interested in the experiences of those who have walked this road
already... Actually, that reminds me that I need to order the USB hard-drive
enclosure that I promised myself least week...

--
Steve
When 1 person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0