[ubuntu-uk] Kubuntu vs Ubuntu for new users

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 18 10:19:34 BST 2007

It all comes down to personal preference I guess, but the nice thing
about Gnome is that it hides the complexity of the system from the
user unless they actively go searching for it - and to someone for
whom a computer is effectively just a web-browser and a platform for
email and IM clients that's no bad thing IMHO. That describes the last
3 people i've installed Ubuntu for perfectly - they don't even have
any music collections to speak of, never mind loads of video files
(don't ask me how anyone can live without music - I know I can't...)

Pete

On 18/09/2007, Stephen Garton <sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> With reference to the 2-bars setup, My mother-in-law uses Ubuntu (on
> my recommendation!), and the first thing she mentioned when I asked
> her how she was finding it (we are talking 6 months ago when I first
> got her using it) was how much clearer it was. She likes having the 2
> bars. The stuff at the bottom is the stuff she has open, and the stuff
> at the top is stuff she can open.
>
> Bit of background, she had a storke at the back end of last year, and
> still gets a bit confused with things, so the simpler the better!
>
> She also prefers the gnome-main-menu to the default, but I think that
> is because she only uses a half dozen programs, so gnome-main-menu
> makes it easy to find them.
>
> --
> Steve Garton
> http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997