[ubuntu-uk] Kubuntu vs Ubuntu for new users

Jim Kissel jlk at osml.eu
Tue Sep 18 07:17:08 BST 2007

Chris Rowson wrote:
>> Scrase, Eddie wrote:
>>> I'm probably stating the obvious here, but if the two bars are a
>>> problem, you can always move everything from the top bar down to the
>>> bottom and then delete the top bar (which is what I have done on my
>>> installation).  You can also replace the Gnome
>>> Applications/Places/System menus with a combined menu along the lines
>>> of KDE or Windows, although as far as I'm aware, you can't add text
>>> label to it.
>>>
>> It might be quicker to add the bottom applets to the top panel, delete
>> the bottom panel, and them move the top panel to the bottom.
>> YMMV
>>

> Yeah, I did think of that ;-)
>
> The problem is however, although it's easy to move the panel/s, what
> happens when the user creates another user for another family member
> on their PC? I'm kinda trying to compare these DE's on their out of
> the box environment. I suppose, imagine that you're installing using
> the OEM option.

If you're trying to solve the problem of new accounts needing the same
customization, it can be done, though it not a drop-and-drag operation.
  You need to delve into where the default gnome/KDE configuration files
live and do a bit of editing on them, but don't blame me if you make a
mistake end up with a non-operational system.