[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu jobs

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu Sep 13 02:54:21 BST 2007

Chris Rowson wrote:
> It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts ;-)

I think the country has changed in the past 20-30 years, and that is
part of it... I started in IT after my 'A' Levels when I secured a job
as a trainee programmer and proceeded to work for the best part of 20
years for relatively large companies, along the way managing to be part
of the team that implemented the first UK production customer
implementation of Oracle 7 (over New Year 1992/1993)... in the 80s it
wasn't presupposed that to be a programmer you'd necessary do the
University/Poly route... and I certainly did very well between the ages
of 18 and 22 financially when others were struggling as students.

Upon reflection, I think I'd probably have rather enjoyed the student
life, but at the time I was happy doing what I was doing.

I am now effectively self-employed doing sub-contracts in php/mySQL and
other database tasks, along with some website design and implementation,
and I am fairly happy with that. I have done the whole interview scene
and it's depressing... I discovered that in your late 30s and with 20
years' experience nobody wants you... you're potentially too expensive
(even if you don't ask for money the perception is that you'll move on
quickly if it isn't there)... it's cheaper to get graduates, so I
sympathise with the original sentiments of this thread.

But, I'd suggest, if you're good enough get out there and "make your own
reality"... nobody can do it but you.

Sean