[ubuntu-uk] How do kernel builds etc determine the UUID of the root partition?

Martyn martyn.pattison at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:59:50 BST 2007

Hi people,
Some time ago I upgraded my hard drive, & rather than reinstall I did a dump
& restore of / . Consequently the new disk/partition has a different UUID to
the old one,  afterwards rather than faff about with UUIDs I modified
/etc/fstab & /boot/grub/menu.lst to use good old /dev/sda6 & all was well;
however when I recently did a kernel upgrade it put the UUID field back in
menu.lst BUT it put the wrong UUID (I think it had the one from the of the
old disk/partition & not the current one) and consequently it wouldn't
reboot without a bit of fiddling. Does anyone know where the kernel builds &
the like get the root partition UUID from? I'm guessing it must be held in a
file somewhere, so if I can identify it I'll change it to the right one for
future upgrades etc.

TIA for any help,

Martyn