[ubuntu-uk] Redundency was Going back to the Dell deal...

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Sep 11 21:06:25 BST 2007

Hi Mark,

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 18:23 +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> When it comes to network infrastructure - I find it notable that there's
> an "Ubuntu Desktop" (well, more than 1 - Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.) and an
> "Ubuntu Server" edition... but not an "Ubuntu network infrastructure
> edition".

A very interesting idea. You could write a specification [0] for one and
submit it as a blueprint [1] which could potentially be discussed at the
Ubuntu Developer Summit [2] in Boston [3] at the end of October.

During meetings at UDS* the specifications are discussed and re-worked.
If approved, developer resources may be allocated in order to develop
the product or enhancement for the next release.

> It would be an interesting "micro-distribution" to take Ubuntu Server,
> rip out most of it, and add in a few odd packages so that a box (or
> pair) were optimised and hardened for:

Worth noting that the next release of Ubuntu (8.04) will be an LTS
release. On the server this would give 5 years support, which is the
kind of platform I guess a "Network Infrastructure" derivative would be
just at home on.

I'll be going to UDS again. I paid my own way to Sevilla in May [4], but
Canonical have kindly offered to sponsor me this time.

Cheers,
Al.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SpecSpec
[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu