[ubuntu-uk] Hard drive partitions/ Space

Darren Mansell darren.mansell at opengi.co.uk
Fri Sep 7 11:56:18 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 10:51 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
> I have a dual boot installed on an 80gb hd. I installed a 400gb for my
> media. I partitioned this 400gb hd into two 200gb partitions But after
> a gutsy install they are now showing 186gb of free space each!
> I don’t understand why this is?
> Any information will be appreciated
> Regards
> Javad

> http://www.star.net.uk

>From man mkfs.ext2:

"       -m reserved-blocks-percentage
              Specify  the  percentage  of  the filesystem blocks
reserved for the super-user.  This avoids fragmentation, and allows
root-owned daemons,
              such as syslogd(8), to continue to function correctly
after non-privileged processes are prevented from writing  to  the
filesystem.   The
              default percentage is 5%.
"

200 - 5% = 190GB ish

and different tools report it differently.