[ubuntu-uk] CPU temps

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Sep 5 22:10:15 BST 2007

Robert,

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 18:02 +0200, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:28:53 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
>
> > and thats what i mean...should i trust my ubuntu telling me its a nice
> > 28c.
>
> It's possible. On my notebook, Ubuntu sometimes 'forgets' that the fan is
> running at full speed, so the CPU gets pretty cool when idle. I
> usually run glxgears or a simple primenumber-calculator to get the
> CPU-temperature above 50°C. Then, when the CPU goes back to idle and the
> temperature drops, the fan gets shut down properly.

I have lmsensors installed on my desktop at home and I run 'fancontrol'
as a demon which keeps the fan running as quiet as it can be and the cpu
as cool as needed.

I just need a really quiet PSU and I would have a very quiet system!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold