[ubuntu-uk] CPU temps

Wed Sep 5 19:57:26 BST 2007

STONE COLD wrote:
> so does that mean ubuntu is telling me the right temp?
> or should i believe my bios.....
>
> Id be happy if it was ubuntu that was right :)
This issue here is twofold...
1) The bios firmware basically just loops and effectively thrashes the
processor hence the 60'C readings.
2) The OS will throw in HALT instructions when it's idle that basically
put the processor to sleep for a split second, it uses almost no power
and the CPU cools nicely.

The OS reading is the more correct, but be aware that 60'C is bit over
the recommended 50'C max temperature. If you do something CPU intense,
like re-encode video the temp. will rise to 60'C and if your harddrive
is nearby it will get cooked...