[ubuntu-uk] CPU temps

Darren Mansell darren.mansell at opengi.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 12:49:38 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 11:44 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
> Its not a small case it is quite big (for a media centre case)...but
> even if 60c is accurate...why would ubuntu show me 28c on occasions
> even less..when pc is idle...whereas in windows the temps show in the
> 40s
>
> Im running an AMD Athlon 5000+

Generally the most accurate way of measuring CPU temps is with thermal
pads. The next most accurate way is the BIOS. that will report back
direct from the thermal sensor underneath the CPU. A desklet in the OS
may not be reading the correct sensor.

I can't think why Windows would be a fair bit cooler than the BIOS apart
from if the BIOS doesn't throttle the CPU and runs it full speed where a
CPU driver in Windows does.

Quick test - if you can touch the heatsink and leave your finger on
there for more than 5 seconds when the BIOS is saying 60degC then the
BIOS is incorrect.