[ubuntu-uk] Dans Guardian help?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 19:47:26 BST 2007

alan c wrote:
> I have become (slightly ambitiously) the volunteer system admin for a
> small local charity serving a small number of vulnerable users.
> I expect to commission and admin 5 PCs each with edubuntu 7.04 (a few
> are dual boot with windows). There will be a modem router and LAN
> including a switch.
>
> I believe that something like dans guardian is probably going to be
> important, and I can see a number of how to's on the forums.
> I would prefer not to use scripts, and it seems that apps are in repos
> ok. However, my experience with cacheing, proxies, and ip tables (and
> the concepts) is sparse, and I wondered if anyone here has experience
> or comments which might help me speed up?
> tia

Hi Alan,

Are you going to use a dedicated box as a server?  I would have
suggested SME Server from www.contribs.org as it has Dans Guardian built
in (plus Samba file sharing, Clam Anti-Virus scanning, IMAP Mail server).

Otherwise from what I remember I managed to install a local copy of Dans
Guardian on Ubuntu.  Just requires you to set the proxy server on
Firefox to the proxy port on the local box.  IIRC you should be able to
use localhost:3128 on a machine with Dans Guardian installed on it.

Another thing you might want to consider if you haven't already deployed
the PCs is to have a look at LTSP.

Rob