[ubuntu-uk] Re-installs - How do exp users do it?

Darren Mansell darren.mansell at opengi.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 15:05:49 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 14:46 +0100, Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> Is it possible to elaborate on some of the possible pitfalls here?
> Maybe there are config files I shoulsd avoid?

Nothing that springs to mind unfortunately. It's been so long since I
did it that way that I can't remember anything in particular. Of course
that could mean that these days apps have a lot more 'old version
config' stability built in and are tested to ensure that if they see an
initialised config that they didnt create to parse it and convert things
accordingly.

There have been many times (again can't remember specifically which
progs) where I have moved ~/. config files/folders back in place then on
first run of the program it overwrites it with a new config file. I
would just recommend after a new install to start the program first,
close it and then copy the config over.