[ubuntu-uk] Load Unload Cycles

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 31 14:48:41 GMT 2007

Hi all,

While investigating the interesting arguments concerning bug #59695, I
noted that a lot of the argument centres around the assumption that
Windows bypasses BIOS settings and configures drive access with so
called "sane" values.

Well I thought I'd check this out and although I'm still in doubt as to
the validity of whether increased time spent in the hard disk landing
zone is significant in reducing lifespan - I can confirm one myth as
debunked: Windows Vista does not alter the load unload cycle parameters.

I've put up a quick piece on my blog (http://blog.lynxworks.eu/) but
suffice to say that after disabling in Ubuntu, after 15 minutes there is
no increase in load unload cycles. Reboot into Windows and after 15
minutes reboot to Ubuntu and surprisingly the cycles have increased by
ten.

Cheers,

Dougie Richardson