[ubuntu-uk] Broadband speeds and prices!

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 13:49:06 GMT 2007

Rob,

Rob Beard wrote:

> I'm with Vivaciti (an Enta reseller) and I'm paying £30 a month inc
> VAT for 8mbit (this is an office connection so it has higher priority
> over home connections).  I get usage limits of 45GB peak time (8am to
> 8pm Monday to Friday) and 300GB off peak (after 8pm to 8am and all
> weekend).  Although there are limits they seem to be fairly flexible,
> if I go over the limit I only have to pay the difference between the
> package I'm on and the next package up, plus £5 + VAT admin charge.
> I'd rather have that than have my connection blocked or limited.  It's
> also a 30 day contract.  I'd suggest anyone interested in trying Enta,
> goto www.ukfsn.org as they're an Enta reseller with the same prices
> and they fund Free Software.  I know its not the cheapest connection
> but I've been stung with *cheap* providers and long contracts before.

This looks interesting. Do you know if they throttle any protocols?
Pipex, for example, throttle BitTorrent to 20KB/s which makes it useless!

I also assume the allowances are per month. Is there an interface that
tells you how much of your allowance you have used?

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold