[ubuntu-uk] IPv6 - are you using it?

Stephen Drake stevepdrake at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:21:54 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 01:09 +0000, Skeg Fast wrote:
> Daniel Lamb wrote:
> > Windows does support IPv6,
> >
> > When I asked a colleague(who has been working in it for 20+ years) what it
> > was used for he explained, basically with nat it is pointless as was said
> > before we cant or are unlikely to run out of ip addresses using IPv4.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel
>
> Interesting. Does it support it by default? I've always assumed that one
>   of the reasons for the lack of uptake was because Windows didn't
> support it out of the box.
>
> I've always just assumed that more IPs==better (hence my complete
> ignorance on the subject).
>
> I understand how I can run several PCs/toasters/microwaves or websites
> on a single box with their own DNS entries, but at some point won't
> their be too many boxes for IPs?
>
> Like I said, I don't properly understand networking so if anybody has
> any links that I could read then let me know (in a "I've read Wikipedia
> and the first few Google hits and also know that my arse isn't connected
> to my elbow" kind of way ;))

 There's a good introduction on Ars Technica
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/IPv6.ars/1

I think XP had it as either a separate download or had it turned off by
default. It was one of the big features of Vista to have it IPv6 ready
out of the box. Of course Windows 2K and lower have no IPv6 support from
Microsoft.

One of the others problems is most home routers don't work with it.
Though you can use openWRT on some home routers to enable tunnelling.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/IPv6_howto

Steve