[ubuntu-uk] Launchpad and the Slashdot effect

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Oct 30 20:34:26 GMT 2007

Hi Dougie,

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 19:13 +0000, Dougie Richardson wrote:
> There's an interesting piece on bug #59695 (decrease in hard drive
> life),

Which has been all over planet ubuntu for about a week or so. Slashdot
is quite behind on this topic.

> Launchpad is suffering the Slashdot effect, but anyone have any thoughts
> on this - I suspect this is the sort of article that could precipitate
> into a widespread FUD campaign within a few days.

"The situation is somewhat less clear than you might think from the
article, but the basic takeaway message is that Ubuntu doesn't touch
your hard drive power management settings by default."

http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77672.html

http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/26/laptop-hardrive-killer-bug/
http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/laptop-hardrive-killer-bug-is-worse-than-i-thought/ http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/28/laptop-hardrive-killer-bug-how-to-discover-whether-you-are-affected/
http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/laptop-hardrive-killer-bug-should-get-critical-status/

Then..

http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/ubuntu-is-not-causing-aggressive-power-management/

Cheers,