[ubuntu-uk] Promoting Ubuntu

Ciaran Mooney general.mooney at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:43:25 GMT 2007

Hi,

There is an event that already does this kind of advocacy. Its called
Software Freedom Day. Every year around September time voluteers
organise an event all on the same day to promote free software.
Canonical sponsor the event and the official distro to hand out is
Ubuntu, though you can hand out any one you want. Also we distribute
The Open CD.

I believe a combined effort from all free software advocates on
Software Freedom Day is probably better than small lone Ubuntu
specific events, sporadically happening through out the year.

There are events held is quite a few major cities in the UK

http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/europe/uk

I understand if Ubuntu-UK would like to organise their own event,
separate from SFD, but from my experience organising an event by
myself in Birmingham all the help I could get was very appreciated.
Having Ubuntu-UK behind the next SFD would help a lot.

Ciarán