[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Profile

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 29 15:51:10 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 12:04 +0000, Tony Travis wrote:

> I've got a HP Pavillion dv5000 with a "Designed for Windows XP" sticker
> on it - To me, it makes more sense to devote time and effort to making
> sure Ubuntu runs on main-stream commodity PC's 'designed' to run Windows
> than asking people to limit their purchases to PC's 'designed' to run
> Linux. By and large Ubuntu does run on 'commodity' PC's, most of which
> are supplied with Windows drivers for WiFi suitable for use with NDIS.
>
> Manufacturers respond to competition and, like it or not, Ubuntu on the
> desktop is still a very small niche market. If large manufacturers like
> Dell and HP start to perceive Linux support on their products as a good
> competitive advantage then they will provide it, as they are now doing.
> I personally think that complaining about lack of support for Linux from
> manufacturers who don't see a Linux market for their products is futile.

This may happen sooner than expected, with respect to HP: here's an
interview with HP's Randy Hergett, Director of Engineering
(http://www.oetrends.com/index.php?view=article&id=955%
3Ahp-randy-hergett-shares-hps-open-source-priorities-vision&Itemid=1&option=com_content). He has some interesting comments on desktop.

Dougie Richardson