[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu TV Advert

Darren Mansell darren at vcoc.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 10:07:11 GMT 2007

I'm thinking now is about the right time to really introduce the
uninitiated to Ubuntu.

We are at about critical mass where software and hardware companies
can't just ignore Linux so lets take it a step further.

I think the majority of people will have heard Ubuntu either
subliminally or consciously so I think a TV advert will have a far
greater effect than it may seem.

Does anyone have any information on how much a TV advert on mainstream
TV would cost? How much it costs to place it at certain times? (e.g. in
the middle of the Gadget Show on five). And how much does it vary
between channels like Bravo / Men&Motors and ITV / Ch4?

I'm wondering if we could start a donation fund then ask Canonical to
match what we raise or go directly to Mark Shuttleworth or something.

Think about what we could do with the advert, the talent of the
Open-Source community coming together with ideas and contributions. We
could show Compiz Fusion against Aero. Make a joke about the cost,
something like a fake shopping channel where the orange guy shows off
this fab Operating System and the cost is on the screen as £0.00 and all
hell breaks loose with people ringing in for it etc. and they think the
price must be wrong on the screen. You get the idea.

What do you think?