[ubuntu-uk] Solid State hard disks?

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 27 22:12:40 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 15:45 +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know where (whether?) it's possible to get solid-state
> "disks" in a format that has an IDE / SATA cable attached?
>
> Let me explain the thinking:
>
> - A 4Gb solid state disk in an SD card format costs about £25
> - A 4Gb solid state disk with a USB connector on it costs about £20
<SNIP>

Most modern motherboards allow booting from USB pendrives.. why not use
one of these?  Hides nicely in the back, and can be quickly removed for
maintenance.  You could also have certain parts of the file-system, ie
"/home" as NFS to increase usable space.

I recently did this and it worked better than 'netbooting' (inc kernel),
that was painfully slow - but once the kernel was retrieved it booted at
and ran without too much delay.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker