[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy Install Success

David Restall - System Administrator dave at restall.net
Sat Oct 27 18:12:21 BST 2007

Hi,

Installed Gutsy Gibbon on Acer Aspire 3004WLMi laptop.  Went very
smoothly - much smoother than the original install on machine which
was Dapper Drake.  Only 'awkwardish' bit was the wireless card.  If you
can install with a wired LAN do it.  I had to plug the wires in, edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and do an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade (I
know..) and then take it from there.  It installed the wireless drivers
fine once it was able to get on to the network.

I shuffled my disk around a bit but left my /home partition in place so
haven't lost any important files either.

Total time from boot from CD to working standalone < 90 minutes, this
email is going out less than two hours after I burnt the CD !!

Real windows are glass and are the only windows that are smoother than
Ubuntu's upgrade :-)

TTFN

ubuntu/2007-10-27.tx                           ubuntu-users ubuntu-uk
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave at restall.net                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |