[ubuntu-uk] Solid State hard disks?

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 16:45:25 BST 2007

On 27/10/2007, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Matthew Larsen wrote:
> > SSD are very fast on spurious read / writes, but reading large files
> > (or sequential reading) is very, very slow on them. Might be worth
> > waiting until some stats come out about this before investing.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> Would another option be to setup a machine as a network boot client
> (either running LTSP or a full Ubuntu install over a network)?
>
> I setup an LTSP server running on an old Athlon 1400 with about 640MB
> memory, it worked really well with one of the clients being an old IBM
> Aptiva P2-233 and a second client being an old 333MHz iMac G3, both
> booting off the network.
>
> Kept my kids happy, they could browse the net, play games and use things
> like Tuxpaint and I could also limit their usage to during the day.
>
> Rob

Or, buy a band new SSD from Scan.co.uk. They are actually optimised for use
in laptops, they are the new solid state drives, not just a CF card or what
ever. These preform well when opening large files.

http://scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=558789

--
Kris Douglas
      Softdel Limited Hosting Services