[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - The Next Generation

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 27 13:24:46 BST 2007

Hi all,

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 01:08 +0100, Rohan Omard wrote:

> How many of us have children ( I have 12,  7 still at home) that use
> computers daily for various things from instant messaging to homework
> (in that order!)

I've noticed that the kids don't seem to care if it's Windows or Ubuntu,
as long as it's got Firefox and can play flash games and get onto the
sites that their school promotes.

> Its time that the snazzy looking desktop that Daddy (or Mom) is using
> gets promoted more amoungst our kids and their mates. After all its
> free and fast and looks good.

Yes, I showed my 10 year old son the cube and all the eye candy. He
looked at it then said - "can I go on the Internet now?"

I do however wish that education would implement more OSS solutions, the
schools in our area's IT managers are teachers with an interest in
computers. They know how to work Windows and that's it. Unless we can
get them to see the inherent benefits, then they aren't going to invest
the time it would take to convert.