[ubuntu-uk] Best ISP?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Oct 27 08:13:10 BST 2007

Jai Harrison wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I figured this would be an interesting topic for people to discuss.
> We're all from the UK so it should work nicely. What is the best
> Internet Service Provider in your opinion and why? Please state
> whether it is ADSL or cable.

I use two ADSL connections at home:

- 8Mb Broadband Max from Web Tapestry [1], gives me solid downstream
  and a /27 block of IPs.  I use this mainly for work, hosting (e-mail
  and personal web stuff) and for VPN connections.
- 16Mb Max from Sky [2], gives me 16 meg downstream for bulk downloads,
  i.e. squid traffic, downloads, ISOs, etc.

Both are pretty solid, no real problems.  The Sky-supplied Netgear is
friendly enough (cheat code admin/sky to get into the web interface),
and I use a solid-as-brick-wall Zyxel P660-HW on my 8Mb line.  I use
SmoothWall on both lines for NATting my LAN: SmoothWall Express 3.0 on
the 16Mb line, and SmoothWall Advanced Firewall 4.0 on the 8Mb line.

-n

[1] http://www.webtapestry.net/ - mention my name or username (neuro)
    to support when signing up, and I get a referral bonus.  You can
    do the same for others once you've signed up too :)
[2] http://www.sky.com/broadband/ - tenner a month for 16 meg ain't too
    bad on top of a regular sky tv subscription, and for me that speed
    is regularly attainable!  good stuff!