[ubuntu-uk] Difference between Admin and Root?

Scrase, Eddie escrase.uk at Wentworthlabs.com
Thu Oct 25 11:35:02 BST 2007

Mark Harrison wrote:

> Tony Travis wrote:
> > [...] The reason I mention all this is that it is
> > important to remember that Linux is 'just' the kernel. Most of the tools
> > and utilities that people use is Gnu software and this is why the FSF
> > call it Gnu/Linux (Gnu software + Linux kernel). [...]
>
> I agree with virtually all you wrote, apart from the use of the word "Most".
>
> There was (on another list earlier in the year) quite a long discussion
> about this - I don't remember the details, but I do remember that the
> average Linux distribution is only about 17% FSF code these days.
>
> I also run virtual-rms from time to time, and my server is 100% Free
> software... my desktop isn't (OpenOffice being the biggest non-free app.)

I think that that argument goes as follows: To get any sort of working system, you need Gnu software as well as the Linux kernel, therefore the system should be called Gnu/Linux to reflex this.  If you are counting lines of code, I suspect that the percentage of Linux kernel code may well be even less than 17%.

[Tongue in cheek] Having said all that, should we be calling Kubuntu KDE/Gnu/Linux?  (I think that Ubuntu can remain as Gnu/Linux because isn't Gnome part of the FSF.)