[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy install bug

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Oct 25 00:14:06 BST 2007

** alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> [2007-10-24 21:56]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> > OK, before I report this as a bug, which I'm reasonably confident it is,
> > I'd like to get some more information to go with the report, maybe even
> > a fix.
> >
> > The background is that I have installed from the Ubuntu Gutsy alternate
> > install CD (I've never had a successful install from the live CD, and am
> [...]
> Have you double checked the md5sum of the CD etc?
>
> I say this because I have found to my great surprise, that more than
> one iso which I downloaded asap after release apparently gives a wrong
> md5sum. I initially found this with xubuntu alternate I think. It
> seemed to install ok, but I did have some problems. And later also
> with edubuntu server. With edubuntu server I have downloaded several
> times, from different mirrors, and also torrent. I have found a couple
> of downloads which seem correct (one is canonical). However I have not
> had time to follow up yet.
** end quote [alan c]

Yes, the iso I downloaded is fine. I've managed to get into the habbit
of checking every iso I download, although I did get a bit enthusiastic
with one iso of 7.04 and ended up with a couple of coasters :(

At the moment I'm trying to work out what the difference is between the
boot environment used for the live/desktop CD and the one installed to
the hd (by the alternate CD). It looks as though they pata_it821x driver
isn't loaded, and therefore I can't read the HD to mount the root file
system. The driver is in the /lib/modules/..... directory of the BusyBox
environment I get dropped into, so I assume it is 'simply' a case of it
not being loaded for some reason.