[ubuntu-uk] Best ISP?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Oct 24 14:49:48 BST 2007

** Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> [2007-10-24 13:20]:
> On 24/10/2007, Andrew Barber <andrew.alex.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am now unfortunately in an area not supported by Cable, and I am on an
> > ADSL connection through Tiscali.
> > I personally hate the service and would change if I had any better options.
> > Their technical support is absolute crap.
>
> Second this - Tiscali are rubbish!
>
> I'm with them at the moment but am considering a move to TalkTalk,
> which appears to be outstanding value and available in my area: any
> horror stories with them?
** end quote [Matthew East]

One thing to watch with people like TalkTalk is that they will, if
possbile, migrate you onto their LLU service. This may not be a problem
while with them, but I have heard that migrating back to BT can be a
major hassle. I've even heard of people being stuck without ADSL service
because their LLU ISP decides they can't provide service after all, but
having been unbundled they are blocked (for some reason) from migrating
back to BT. I believe that Ofcom (or whoever) are looking into getting
this issue sorted though.

That said my home line has now been migrated to Sky and the have been
reasonably helpful during the process. I've not actually hooked up my
kit yet though, and I'm not LLU (although suspect I will be soon). They
were cheap/free for a second backup line though, so I'm not too worried
if the service is less than perfect :)