[ubuntu-uk] Upgrade to Gutsy- Via Live CD or via Synaptic!

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Oct 24 13:11:44 BST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 11:44 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
> Will Synaptic be able to configure my partitions like i currently have
> them! ?
>
> Pros and cons?which one?

Technically you can't "upgrade" using the live CD. You can re-install
over the top which will lose all your current applications. If
your /home is not separate it will also lose all your data. If you have
a separate / and /home partition then you can install from the live cd
to / and your /home will be fine - make sure you _don't_ tick the
"Format" option in the installer for that partition.

The "right" way to upgrade is using update manager. Just open update
manager from System --> Administration --> Update Manager and click the
button at the top to upgrade. Of course I'd recommend reading these two
pages _first_:-

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710

Cheers,