[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy Upgrade - disappointing

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 23 22:00:07 BST 2007

Just to share my experiences, I've already ranted on the other relevant
lists, but thought you might be interested and could offer some guidelines
to prevent this next time.

My original installation was 6.10. and I upgraded successfully to 7.04 with
no problems using update manager.

Decided to take the plunge and upgrade on Sunday to 7.10 using the same
method - the update manager.

However, after the upgrade I found that Orca, the Assistive Technologies
Screen Reader I use, was disabled - not a problem just a pain, so attempted
to get things back on track.

Made two attempts to get into Orca's GUI and had to Ctrl + Shift + Backspace
out each time - the system went into treacle mode after a period of time

Interestingly the first time took me back to the log on screen, no drum
roll, but just a system bleep.  The second time is shut down the PC!

So I'm now in a catch 22 situation, I need to get to Orca's preferences to
alter the way it works so I can use it, but can't get into it to change it
as I need Orca up and running - smiles manically!

I think a call out to the overalled LUGgers at the next meeting will be
necessary - ho hum.