[ubuntu-uk] Any recommendations for graphics cards?

Kirrus kirrus at kirrus.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 15:58:45 BST 2007

----- "Alan Pope" <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 14:36 +0100, Peter Lewis wrote:
> > I can't help thinking that if there isn't even an interest in nvidia
> opening
> > up their drivers / specs, then I really don't want to be buying
> something
> > from them.
> >

> Indeed. I previously bought a laptop with an Nvidia chipset and a
> desktop with one too. My latest laptop however has an Intel 945 chip
> for
> graphics and whilst it's nowhere near as great at 3D as the NVidias,
> feel a lot better for it.

I guess this is the difference between the two camps:

a) Want all software & hardware to be free/OSS

b) Want their computer working 100% without fuss, or caring about OSS stuff

I'm definitely a b.
TBH, if I could see a distinct advantage in it, I would be willing to pay for codecs / graphics drivers, to install on my Ubuntu boxes. I want my hardware to work fully, all of the time, whether I'm in windows or Linux ;)

If you're worried about the Free/OSS issue, go with ATI, but be prepared to have issues with your card not working/stopping working randomly. It should work before too long with the release of info from AMD/ATI.

If you want to play top-of the range games with no hassle at all (and on Ubuntu, automatic proprietory driver installs) go for Nvidia.

If you want dual-screens with a fancy layout, such as mine (one screen on onboard Nvidia chip, one screen on Nvidia PCI Card), then go for Nvidia. The Gutsy "screens & graphics" doesn't do the trick, and I've had enough of playing with my /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file. Use "gksu nvidia-settings" to configure for dual screens.

--
Blog: www.kirrus.co.uk

RPGs:
Captain Senaris Vlenn, CO, USS Sarek