[ubuntu-uk] Any recommendations for graphics cards?

Kirrus kirrus at kirrus.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 14:00:45 BST 2007

----- "Peter Lewis" <prlewis at letterboxes.org> wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007 at 20:41:45 Matthew Larsen wrote:
> > Currently the best money / performance ratios go to either the
> GeForce
> > 8600GTS 320mb or the Radeon X1950XT. Both will perform well with
> UT3
> > running at 1280 at max settings. I myself plan on investing in an
> > 8600GTS very soon :o)
> >
> > Hope that helps, check out www.custompc.com for some good reviews
>
> Cheers guys.
>
> I presume that the nvidia cards rely on proprietary drivers though. Is
> there a
> decent free one?
>
> Pete.

Quick answer: no.

ATI are releasing details which means that there is likly to be free drivers for ATI cards. Till then my preference will always be with Nvidia for high-powered graphics cards, as their proprietary drivers actually work (and they don't seem to discontinue ~popular hardware. */me Glares at ATI for turning his AGP card into a partially-useless brick. I enjoyed Tremulous... *).

--
Blog: www.kirrus.co.uk

RPGs:
Captain Senaris Vlenn, CO, USS Sarek