[ubuntu-uk] External LCD display module with Linux/Ubuntu

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Oct 23 09:55:59 BST 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, STONE COLD wrote:
> From: anothermindbomb at gmail.com
> > I was wondering how i could utilize this lcd screen in Ubuntu?
> just found out its a VFD screen...not a LCD screen!

The actual technology of the display shouldn't matter (VFD, LCD, LED,
TFT).  When I last looked into these displays they were generally controlled
via a serial port (which will likely appear via an internal USD cable).

Once you have the serial port, it probably show up under Linux as:

  /dev/tty-something

or a similar name with USB.  Generally they take a stream of text data, with
high-bytes [beyond the normal ASCII range] being used for control commands;
such as to clear the display.  Sometimes the display can handle font
downloads or even bitmap data.  The simplist test command is likely:

  echo Hello World | sudo tee -a /dev/ttyUSB0

The next step is to find a daemon that will take information from your
system (temperature, uptime, SCOX stock price), format the information and
submit the complete printed line to the display at regular intervals.

These guys are one of the well-known suppliers:

  http://www.matrixorbital.com/