[ubuntu-uk] PCI Wirless card recommendation

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 16:01:48 BST 2007

Mac,

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 15:49 +0100, Mac wrote:

> I wonder if Al's reading this.  I'll remind him what he told me.
>   ;-)
>
> Alan Pope wrote:
>  > Hi Mac,
>  >
>  > On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 09:56 +0100, Mac wrote:
>  >> For example, linuxemporium recommends Edimax.  I bought one some time
>  >> ago, but it didn't work 'out of the box' with Feisty.  It doesn't
>  >> work 'out of the box' with Gutsy live CD.  So I'm sceptical of
>  >> anything that doesn't come with an 'I've actually seen this working'
>  >> recommendation.
>  >
>  > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500
>  >
>  > "The easiest way to get your wireless working if you have rt2500-based
>  > wireless is to upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10. Everything works out of the box,
>  > including WPA."

It kind of worked but with poor throughput!

> Luckily, I haven't started trying to install Gutsy with the Edimax
> RAlink card yet.  In the same thread, Steve Drake said

The Edimax cards from the Linux Emporium use the RT2561 chi set. It's
not clear to me whether these suffer the same problems as the RT2500
chip set device that I have.

> "Also consider Atheros based cards, usually with 108 Mbps, Xtreme G or
> Super G on the box. Most cards will work fine. Only the very latest
> cards have issues with the binary firmware.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Madwifi
>
> "There's a list of specific cards on the madwifi site.
> http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility"
>

> What do you reckon to the Atheros option, Tony?

Presumably these work out of the box? Or do I have to build/install the
drivers separately? I was hoping to avoid that if I could.

> (And thanks for the timely warning about RAlink!)

You are welcome. See my comment above though! If you do try the Edimax
card, can you post your experience here?

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold