[ubuntu-uk] PCI Wirless card recommendation

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Oct 22 15:08:36 BST 2007

** Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> [2007-10-22 14:38]:
> Can anyone recommend a PCI based Wireless card that is known to work
> well with Gutsy, preferably out of the box?
>
> The recommendation in various places is for RAlink chipset devices
> because they have open sourced their drivers, but the drivers on Gutsy
> do not work very well and give very poor through put.
>
> So any non-RAlink devices known to work?
** end quote [Tony Arnold]

I've got a Linksys card:

Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (WPC54G ver.4)
Ethernet controller: Unknown device 07fe:2220

I was quite surprised to find it worked out of the box in Feisty since
it is and a,b,g card. I'm also far from being a fan of Linksys kit. I've
not upgraded that machine to Gutsy yet, but will try to remember to post
when I have done. I seem to remember it uses the Madwifi driver, but
can't get access to the machine to double check unfortunately - far too
much hassle to get my 2 year old to stop playing Thomas the Tank Engine
to allow me to reboot right now :)