[ubuntu-uk] Press Release Idea: "Free support on selected Tescos PCs from Ubuntu UK"

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Sun Oct 21 19:53:46 BST 2007

IMPORTANT NOTE ---- I am acting like a typical "PR Flack" in this. As
far as I'm aware, NONE of the quotes I've made up for Alan have actually
been said... Normal practice with PR stuff is for the PR flack to make
them up, then ask the person being quoted if that's OK :-)

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE ---- This is deliberately aimed at people who
DON'T know much about computers. You may wince at some of the things I
say... but now imagine that you didn't care about IT, and see whether it
sounds compelling :-)

NOTE 3: I'm also deliberately making it a "future event", so it feels
like "new to be reported on", rather than "same old, same old."

London, 21st October 2007

The UK Ubuntu community is pleased to announce that, effective from 1st
November, it will be offering free technical support to users of
selected Tescos PC, at centres up and down the country.

The PCs in question run Ubuntu, a free alternative to Microsoft Windows,
including both office software (word processor, spreadsheet and
presentation program) as well as tools for Internet surfing and home users.

Alan Pope, the recently elected "Point of Contact" for the UK community
explains the benefits:

"This is dramatically reducing the price that people are paying for PCs.
Ubuntu is a great alternative to Microsoft Windows for web users. We
understand that Tescos chose it, not just on price, but because they
found it to be less prone to virus attacks."

Until now, the software has only been available from web-based retailers
such as Dell, or for download, but most people with Windows
pre-installed on a PC haven't seen the need to change.

Mark Harrison, an IT Director based in Sussex, explains.

"With a copy of Vista coming in at about £180 from PC World, you can see
why people want to stick with what they've already paid for rather than
change. However, with Tesco now selling a PC base unit at under £140,
it's an ideal solution for people who've already got a monitor, but need
a faster PC to cope with broadband. Support has been the problem though,
since most people are familiar with the Microsoft software."

This is where the Ubuntu community comes in. Pope adds:

"What we're doing is offering free support to everyone with Ubuntu...
whether they downloaded it for themselves, or bought it with a Dell or
Tesco PC. We've teamed up with the local Linux User Groups to provide
face-to-face support on Ubuntu up and down the UK, ideal for people who
don't like the idea of trying to get support over the Internet."

Press Contact: Presumably Alan, presumably a special page on the Wiki
about where people can get help (just a link to the LUGs)????