[ubuntu-uk] Wifi PCMCIA card - suggestions, please.

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:37:36 BST 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Mac,
>
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 09:56 +0100, Mac wrote:
>> For example, linuxemporium recommends Edimax.  I bought one some time
>> ago, but it didn't work 'out of the box' with Feisty.  It doesn't work
>> 'out of the box' with Gutsy live CD.  So I'm sceptical of anything that
>> doesn't come with an 'I've actually seen this working' recommendation.
>>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500
>
> "The easiest way to get your wireless working if you have rt2500-based
> wireless is to upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10. Everything works out of the box,
> including WPA."
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

So is the best procedure as follows: turn off the security on the
wireless router, insert the Edimax EW-7108PCG card, and install from the
live CD.  Presumably, the card should just get detected and turned on by
Gutsy.  Then turn the security back on and set the wpa access.

Any other warnings / tips?

Mac