[ubuntu-uk] Niggling wireless issue

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Sat Oct 20 10:12:50 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 00:04 +0100, Kris Marsh wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Josh Blacker <jkblacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Not really asking for help as such, just flagging up something that's
> > bugging me. I dual-boot windows and Gutsy on my laptop, as I'm sure
> > many others do. Now, if I use Windows for whatever reason, and turn
> > off the wireless to save power, and then go back to Ubuntu, the
> > wireless just doesn't work, regardless of what I do in Ubuntu. I can
> > 'disable' and 'enable' it from the network-manager applet all I like,
> > but it just won't work until I reboot into Windows and turn the
> > wireless on there and go back to Ubuntu.
> >
> > Rant over. Anyone else experiencing this?
> >
> > --
> > Josh Blacker
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> >

> I have noticed the same thing yeah, but I only use my Windows
> partition at work with Ethernet so it's not really a problem for me. I
> have no idea what it does to disable the card though, seems to be some
> form of voodoo!
>
> Kris

Perhaps, and i'm just waiving my fork through the air, but have you
checked if there is a setting in the BIOS setting... something about the
power state of the wireless card. I know there there is a setting for it
in my laptop, but i don't have windoze so i can test to see if it does
it to me.

Just ignore me if this suggestion was so blatantly obvious!!!