[ubuntu-uk] Wifi PCMCIA card - suggestions, please.

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 20 09:56:24 BST 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Mac,
>
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 08:16 +0100, Mac wrote:
>> #  can do WPA encryption
>> #  you actually have seen working out of the box with Gutsy (!)
>> #  I can buy currently from a UK vendor.
>>

> http://linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/ is probably a good place
> to start.

Al >>> Thanks for the quick reply.  The reason I asked for the name and
model of a card someone has seen working out of the box with WPA and
available in a shop now is that the information in all the 'good places
to look' is often wildly out of date, wrong, or very confusing.

For example, linuxemporium recommends Edimax.  I bought one some time
ago, but it didn't work 'out of the box' with Feisty.  It doesn't work
'out of the box' with Gutsy live CD.  So I'm sceptical of anything that
doesn't come with an 'I've actually seen this working' recommendation.

Sorry to seem so fussy, but - like many here, I guess - I've spent hours
- no, days - researching wifi kit with much frustration.  :-(

Mac