[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy, first reports!

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 22:53:16 BST 2007

STONE COLD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> those of you who have now installed 7.10 what are your thoughts?
> How has it improved from fiesty?
>
> Regards
> javad

Installed it this evening from the Live CD on an oldish Athlon XP 1900
with 256MB memory.  Installation was very slow (I expected that, I am
upgrading the memory just haven't got any to hand right now).  Once it
installed it boots fine and seems fairly responsive on the desktop.

Couple of niggly problems though.  When booting from the Live CD in
either normal mode or choosing the OEM mode it won't display properly on
  this particular machine (it's got an ATI Video card, I think it's a
Radeon 9200SE) and it seems to go into 640x400 (it has a big black
border on the bottom of the screen!).  Safe mode video option works fine
though.

Splash screen doesn't work when booting up.  I have seen this before, I
think in Feisty, can't remember what I did to fix it.

I'm going to give it a go on my main desktop tomorrow.  So far I am
quite impressed, hope the problems I have experienced aren't the norm.

Rob