[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy, first reports!

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Oct 18 15:57:13 BST 2007

Hi Javad,

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 14:49 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
> those of you who have now installed 7.10 what are your thoughts?
> How has it improved from fiesty?

I've been using Gutsy on a few laptops and a desktop for a few months
now. Personally I'm finding certain specific features making me happy.
Here's my top 3.

* Tomboy sync. I use Tomboy Notes to note my to-do list, ideas,
documentation, personal notes and kids christmas lists :) I have more
than one computer, and previously Tomboy was out of sync on each
machine. The version of Tomboy with Gutsy has a few sync options and
whilst they aren't trivial to setup (ssh sync requires ssh keys to be
setup between machines and the 'server' where the store is [not a
problem for me, I already use this, but could be an issue for new
users]) it's awesome. Means I can sit down at any machine and know my
notes are up to date.

* Better battery life. I am noticing battery life on my laptop is much
improved. Part of this is down to the excellent tool "Powertop" from
intel which you can install from the repository. It indicates which
programs are causing the CPU to "wake up" frequently, and also offers
suggestions for improving battery life. Really good stuff.

* Encrypted filesystems during install. I love this idea. Using the
alternate CD (not the live one) it's possible to install Gutsy into an
encrypted volume on disk which is accessed using a passphrase entered at
bootup. Love it. I will be re-installing my laptop to take advantage of
this feature!

Cheers,
Al.