[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Thu Oct 18 00:54:15 BST 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 15:55:25 Steve Flynn wrote:
> heh! I had a stunningly brilliant time at University - virtually none of it
> was to do with the course or the location though - it was all about meeting
> new people, becoming independent, living away from home, etc. Perhaps
> that's why I ran out of cash (this was many moons ago, pre Student loans).
>
> I'd advise anyone to go to Uni and study something... anything in fact. The
> skills you learn there will stand you in good stead for the rest of your
> life. The course you do may not but you'll come away a richer person.

I really couldn't agree more. It really depends on where you want to go in
life (i.e. not just in work).

There's a lot of advice going around on here, but I'd just say:

1. Don't confuse training with education, and

2. Don't let your training interfere with your education.

Go for it, whatever it is.

Pete.

A Level Maths (amongst others)
BSc Computer Science - transferred from Politics
CSIA Level 1 Ski Instructor
MSc Natural Computation
PhD Computer Science (hopefully)