[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

David Neil dneil at UK.EY.COM
Wed Oct 17 19:16:46 BST 2007

David - No Degree - Incident manager (via 1st & 2nd line support roles, MS
consultancy)

Got into IT via an unemployment training scheme, appeared to have a
'knack' with PC's and got my break at a small manufacturing company aged
21. Best year of my career, everythign from PC support to soldering serial
connections into a HP48.  Later moved onto contracting work, bounced
around various roles for several years and spent 3 1.2 years i a MS
consultancy role, where a colleague introduced me to Linux. Few more roles
and got into the ITIL side of things about 3 years ago.
IMHO I will interview graduates and non- grads equally - I'm more
interested in the personalities and adaptability (for my side of IT
anyway)

The above is my personal opinion and in no way reflects that of my
employer etc.

"Chris Rowson" <christopherrowson at gmail.com>
Sent by: ubuntu-uk-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
17/10/2007 14:59
Please respond to
British Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>

"British Ubuntu Talk" <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

It'd be interesting for people to put their money where their mouth's
are, and tell us what they do for a living and what their level of
qualification is. It's the only real way to see if having a degree
makes a difference or not.

Anyone who is currently on a degree course is of course going to say
that it's the best way forward, as alternately anyone who hasn't got
one is going to say it doesn't matter...

I'll start the ball rolling...

Chris - No Degree - Second line support engineer (although I've
recently started working a in job which involves project coordination,
service reviews etc etc)

ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UKTeam/

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and contain proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the author immediately by telephone or by replying to this e-mail, and then delete all copies of the e-mail on your system.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.

Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that this e-mail and any attachment has been checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee that they are virus free and we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses.  We would advise that you carry out your own virus checks, especially before opening an attachment.

The UK firm Ernst & Young LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC300001 and is a member practice of Ernst & Young Global.  A list of members' names is available for inspection at 1 More London Place, London, SE1 2AF, the firm's principal place of business and its registered office.