[ubuntu-uk] Wireless adapter, network-manager, and WPA

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:46:40 BST 2007

My card is supported by default on Feisty, but there is a lot of
missing functionality. I have a strange problem where I have to go
into the CL everytime I connect to a network:

1) Select Network
2) Connects: but only on IPv6. God knows why.
3) Fire up console: sudo ifconfig ra1 192.168.1.2 up
4) sudo dhclient ra1

Bizzarre. I'm being optimistic and hoping Gutsy will fix all this.

Regards,

On 17/10/2007, Kris Douglas <webbox.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/10/2007, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hwyl i bawb/Hello all,
> >
> > I've just installed a Linksys wireless adapter in my laptop. It's the
> > WPC54GX4, which isn't mentioned in the wiki as being supported, and
> > the only thread I found on the forums said it still wasn't working...
> >
> > However, I used ndiswrapper with the drivers on the CD that came with
> > the adapter, and it appears as wlan0. When I try to set it up in
> > network-manager, everything looks fine except that the encryption
> > drop-down only lists the two WEP options (ascii and hex). I wanted to
> > use WPA, and my access point is already configured with a WPA key.
> >
> > I've got wpa-supplicant installed. Can anyone suggest another reason
> > why WPA isn't an available option?
> >
> > Diolch yn fawr/Thanks,
> > Neil.
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> >

> Hi, I have had similar problems with supported cards, I would be interested
> to see peoples opinions...
>
> --
> Kris Douglas
>       Softdel Limited Hosting Services