[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:27:41 BST 2007

On 17/10/2007, Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com> wrote:
> It'd be interesting for people to put their money where their mouth's
> are, and tell us what they do for a living and what their level of
> qualification is.

Matt: Placement year doing contract work (primarily analysis / design
and rollout management). I'm not sure what I want to do when I
graduate hence placement year.

> Anyone who is currently on a degree course is of course going to say
> that it's the best way forward, as alternately anyone who hasn't got
> one is going to say it doesn't matter...

Likewise anyone who isnt on one is going to say how pointless they are
... cyclic argument.

But look at the facts:

1) Graduates make more money (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6999510.stm)
2) You move up the management chain more quickly (virtually every
company has a grad scheme)
3) You open your oppertunities massively

If you have the opportunity, you really should go. You could go do
llama farming in Peru when you graduate: you might as well get a
degree before you do!

I really do not understand why there is so much opposition to what I
am saying. I am not criticising people without degrees, i'm advising
Jai that if he wants the best opportunities you need to get a good
degree from a good university. Yes, you can get into the industry
without one, but for the reasons mentioned above it is well worth
going for it.

--
Matthew G Larsen