[ubuntu-uk] BBC to develop Flash-based iPlayer for Linux

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:52:42 BST 2007

On 17/10/2007, Tom Bamford <tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk> wrote:
> Despite being long overdue that's quite welcome news. Realplayer sucks
> more than I can describe even compared to flash, but at least my phone
> plays flash, as do my Ubuntu machines.

I agree that it's a big step forward, but it will still require the
use of non-free software from one company and (I think) will still use
DRM. I'm running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu with a 64 bit version of
Firefox, therefore Adobe's flash isn't available to me, unless I use a
32 bit version of Firefox - I could be wrong here though.

We are still some way from having free access to programs unfortunately.