[ubuntu-uk] Lost Apache2 PID

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:19:30 BST 2007

On 10/17/07, Jim Kissel <jlk at osml.eu> wrote:

> taufanlubis wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I suddenly lost my /var/run/apache2.pid
> > Now, I can't run my apache2.
> > Have any of you ever deal with it?
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> or
> sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
>
> depending on the state of your machine.  The start-up script should/will
> create a new /var/run/apache2.pid
>
> Restart will error non-fatally if the pid is missing, but should
> continue and (re)start apache for you.
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > Taufan Lubis
> > www.taufanlubis.wordpress.com
> >

> --
> People choose Microsoft Windows for their PC in the same manner
> that the citizens of Soviet Russia elected the General Secretary
> of the Communist Party during the cold war.
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

FYI: The contents of the file is just the pid of the parent apache2 process:

moogman at kris:~$ ps -ef | grep apache | grep root
root      3668     1  0 Oct14 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start -DSSL
moogman at kris:~$ ls -l /var/run/apache2.pid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 2007-10-14 07:35 /var/run/apache2.pid
moogman at kris:~$ cat /var/run/apache2.pid
3668

Kris