[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:32:27 BST 2007

On 16/10/2007, Jai Harrison <jai at jaiharrison.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if I should take a university that doesn't need A level
> maths,

The University Of Bristol doesn't require A-Level maths (though it is
preferred).
Ranked 3rd for CS in the Times.
<http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Computer+Science&amp;x=6&amp;y=10&amp;sub=6>
(behind Cambridge and Oxford).

The requirements listed by Universities are sometimes only guidelines.
Your best bet is to contact someone from University Admissions and
talk to them about whether you really would require A-Level maths. For
Bristol you can email: uga at cs.bris.ac.uk

Unfortunately CS can contain quite a bit of Maths depending on the
modules taken.

Is it more a case of you don't like (or find Maths difficult), or a
case of you just didn't chose that particular course and so don't have
the background?
If it's the latter case then it may not be too much of a problem as
lecturers will often go over the basics that you actually need (and
some of the Maths will be entirely knew to everyone).

However I will stress, All Universities are different, what they offer
in their courses do vary so do contact them and speak with someone who
knows the specifics of the individual courses.

hope that's of some use to you.

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath