[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Wed Oct 17 10:32:23 BST 2007

Hi Jai,

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 at 09:39:38 Jai Harrison wrote:
> Well I'm interested in York Uni. What other Universities are good for
> Computer Science and would you generally recommend? What University
> are you at?

York is a good university for CS, and it's also a really nice uni. I'd also
recommend Southampton, Imperial, Liverpool, Edinburgh and my uni, Birmingham.

According to our website, for our undergrad BSc in CS, we ask for:

Number of A levels required: 3
Typical offers: ABB-BBB
Required subjects and grades: Mathematics GCSE at grade B
General Studies: Yes
International Baccalaureate Diploma: 30-34 points including Mathematics at SL

So, looks like they only ask for maths up to GCSE level, but I'm sure it would
be a benefit to have it at A level as well.

As others have hinted, I think it depends on what you're after. I've
definitely gone the academic route, doing a BSc in Computer Science (at
Leicester), MSc in Natural Computation (at Birmingham) and now I'm working
towards a PhD here too. I don't want to mislead you, so do understand that
maths is important - I'd go as far to say as its the foundation which the
house is built on. Having said that, I'm not fantastic at it by any stretch
of the imagination, but an A level really will be a big help.

Having said all that though, I currently teach on an MSc conversion course for
people who have no experience of computer science, and they generally do very
well, given enough motivation (I wouldn't suggest this route though).

It's perhaps also worth looking at what you might want to do after the degree
(hey, it's never too early). Birmingham is really good for AI, for example,
so it's good to get into a crowd with people who have the same interests
(beyond just learning basic CS).

Just my opinions though!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Pete.