[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:19:38 BST 2007

Dave Walker wrote:
> One option most universities offer is an additional first year for
> people that don't get grades they wanted.  Another option might be
> 'clearing'; but you will have to be fast.   One slightly risky solution
> you could follow, is to pick a similar course that has fewer entry
> requirements (such as "Computing"), then convert to CS mid-course (I
> know of somebody that did this).

The foundation year route is a good way to go. After fluffing up my
A-levels I was accepted onto a foundation year course at Uni and am now
in the 2nd year of the course in a better position than some of the
people who just went straight into the first year. The department was
also quick to point out that people who do a foundation level course
then go on to do a masters tend to get better marks.

Ring up the admissions people for the Uni's and ask them. They want to
take on students, so they're normally very helpful!

-Matt Daubney